Flies are bad news whether you find an infestation in your home or business. If left untreated flies can spread bacteria such as Salmonella and E.Coli.
Professional fly control treatment will guarantee a solution to your fly problem.
Use the ERDM method.
- Exclusion – Prevent flies entering by proofing doors, windows, roof vents etc…
- Restriction – Routine good housekeeping practices to remove potential fly breeding areas
- Destruction – Correct identification of specific fly species so the most effective fly control treatment is implemented
- Monitoring – Regular inspections so any issues can be treated swiftly before becoming an infestation
How To Get Rid of House Flies
There are practical measures you can take to deter house flies, such as thorough cleaning which can get rid of breeding spots, removing potential areas for flies to lay eggs, as they can reproduce very quickly.
Removing decaying food such as meat, fruit, vegetables and faeces as these attract the common house fly.
Fruit flies like sugary substances and will feed on overripe fruit, spilled soft drinks and alcohol.
Drain flies typically seek moist areas to lay their eggs, so keeping your property and drains clean and dry as possible will reduce opportunities for them to breed.
How To Get Rid of Cluster Flies
Cluster flies can be more problematic than the odd housefly.
In autumn months, they will gather in large numbers. Cluster flies (Polleniarudis), or attic flies, are large black flies and similar in size, shape and behaviour to the blowfly.
The adults breed and lay their eggs outside in Summer and then during Autumn months the adult lifecycle will bring them into buildings, normally attics and roof voids in order to hibernate over the Winter months, this type of infestation can occur in very large numbers.
Cluster flies can enter your property through the smallest of cracks around door and window frames.
Once these flies get into your home, there is not much you can do but try to trap them or kill them. Some of the things you can do to get rid of cluster flies include:
- Vacuuming – keep carpets, rugs and floors clean and vacuum up dead insects, before applying DIY residual insecticides or know down sprays on adult flies.
- Sealing up the house – You can try and limit access to your property by filling any cracks and crevices in walls, window or door frames with caulking.
Make sure the roof is in good order and replace slates or tiles that are broken.
Seal up holes around your home and make sure windows have screens and that the screens are free of holes.